Recipe type: Entree
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 8 mins
Total time: 28 mins
This is a Jersey Joe, an adaptation of a Reuben but with coleslaw instead of sauerkraut.
- 4 ounces corned beef (lean thinly sliced deli)
- 2 ounces Swiss cheese (slices)
- 2 slices rye bread (choice i prefer Jewish rye with caraway seeds)
- 1/3 cup coleslaw (drained, use crunchy coleslaw recipe)
- 1 3/4 tablespoon thousand island dressing (taste)
- 2 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 pickle spears (dill, garnish alongside the sandwich on plate)
- Set corned beef, swiss cheese, cole slaw, & butter out to come to room temp, OR (to SHORTEN prep time to 20 minutes) gently warm each ingredient in microwave on low power to take off the chill so that the sandwich will be hot inside once grilled.
Assemble the sandwich:
- Place a slice of swiss on one piece of rye bread.
- Next place 4 oz of corned beef atop the swiss cheese.
- Top the corned beef with thousand island dressing & 1/3 cup crunchy coleslaw.
- Top the slaw with another slice of swiss cheese.
- Place the remaining slice of rye atop the sandwich.
- Butter the top of the sandwich and place DOWN in a skillet heated to Medium heat on the stove burner –.
- butter the (now) top of the sandwich while the bottom browns for a few minutes. (Lift gently with a spatula to check browning and turn when ready — do not scorch!).
- Turn sandwich and brown the other side.
- Serve HOT with dill spear, and chips or french fries if desired.
- Note: the sandwich can actually be built in layers right in the skillet as the one side (bottom) browns IF you have all the other ingredients “warm” and staged for assembly. Tricky the first time but actually easier once you get the hang of it.