Blueberry and Rhubarb Deep Dish Pie
|Blueberry and Rhubarb Deep Dish Pie|
Recipe type: Dessert
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 45 mins
This tastes twice as good as it looks and just look at it! Yummy!
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups butter, cold
- 6-7 Tablespoon ice cold water
- 12 oz. rhubarb, chopped into small, 1/2″ chunks
- 1 lb. blueberries
- freshly grated zest of 1 orange
- 3 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 cup (100 gr) sugar
- 4 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream, and more for serving
- turbinado sugar
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the cold butter into the flour, until the size of small peas.
- Gradually add the water, 1 Tablespoon at a time until, when you press the dough between your fingers, it holds together. Do not over mix!
- Wrap the dough in parchment paper or plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out, about 1/8″ thick. Place dough into the pie plates, reserving the leftover dough for the lattice top. Keep the prepared dough cold.
- To prepare the filling, combine the chopped rhubarb, blueberries, orange zest and juice, granulated sugar, and corn starch in a bowl.
- Spoon the filling into the pie crusts. Top with cut strips of pastry.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and 1 Tablespoon of heavy cream. Brush the egg wash lightly over the lattice crust. Sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 400 degrees F for about 45 minutes. If the tops start to get brown, around 30 minutes, place a layer of foil over the pies and continue to bake until the rhubarb is cooked through.
- Remove and let cool. Serve with a splash of heavy cream.